Donald Trump’s Administration Makes Him Sign A New Executive Order To Replace His Chaotic Travel Ban — But How Is It REALLY Different??
Donald Trump‘s administration has signed a revised executive order to replace his travel ban.
Effective next week, the new executive order officially revokes and replaces the controversial order the President signed in late January, which was blocked by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals last month — but how is this new one any different?
Well, first off one of the seven majority-Muslim countries previously banned from entering the States is now off the hook.
The downsized order narrows the list of countries barred from entering the U.S. from seven to six — Iraq has been removed from the list at the urging of the State Department and the Pentagon.
A senior U.S. Official said Iraq was removed from the list "because we have received firm commitments from the government of Iraq about increased cooperation in terms of info sharing and other related activities."
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson also echoed the importance of keeping a strong alliance with Iraq, telling press on Monday:
"Iraq is an important ally in the fight to defeat ISIS… [Americans] can have high confidence that we are identifying ways to improve the vetting process."
This leaves six countries that remain on the list: Iran, Libya, Yemen, Syria, Somalia, and Sudan.
The new order, which has been modified to withstand legal challenge, also makes it clear that permanent legal residents and current visa holders will not be affected. A State Department official explained:
"The State Department does not plan to revoke any visa provisionally due to this executive order and that individuals with valid visas will still be able to use them."
Ugh. The fact that this administration didn’t even know who would be affected under their first draft just proves how little Trump understands about immigration.
The new order is obviously an attempt to get through the legal barriers that stopped the first one — which sparked protests and lawsuits due to airport holdups and visas being revoked.
A Senior Department of Homeland Security official said:
"You should not see any chaos, or alleged chaos at airports. There will not be people stopped at airports because of this order."
Well, that’s good news for SOME considering the mass chaos this ban caused visa holders — and actual citizens with Muslim sounding names.
But what about those still being discriminated against?
While previously there was a halt on Syrian refugees, this one calls for a 120-day halt on ALL refugees. See, it’s not racist anymore!
After the refugee admission program’s 120 day suspension is up, "admissions to the United States will not exceed 50,000 for fiscal year 2017," according to the fact sheet.
It’s like it says on the Statue of Liberty — "bring us your huddled masses, but no more than 50K per calendar year — also no Muslims."
Next, the prioritization of admitting religious minorities has been removed altogether. But here’s the thing — the focus is still on countries that are are majority Muslim. Considering the court has to take intent into account, including Trump saying he wanted a Muslim ban while on the campaign trail, we’re guessing this new ban will face some of the same legal issues.
Also, don’t expect POTUS to have a wiser view of immigration after all this.
A source told ABC News that Trump was hesitant to replace his original order with a less chaotic one, and wanted to continue fighting to defend it in court.
However, the President’s legal team reportedly was able to convince him. Our guess is with graphs. He likes graphs.
What do YOU think about the changes to the ban??